Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Calling All Box Checkers!

Hi, my name is Laila, and I am a Box Checker. Hi Laila.

Like many people in the Foreign Service, I am a Type A overachiever. I'm always been a compulsive list maker, but apparently now I'm a box checker as well. For this to make sense, I guess I need to back up a bit. In order to make tenure, every FSO must be off language probation, serve one year in a Consular position, and for those of us with Critical Needs Language (CNL) points, must serve one of the first two tours in a country that uses the CNL.

Last week I had a meeting with my advisor to discuss my preferences and how I ranked the bid list. One of the first things he said to me after I sat down was that I was quite the Box Checker. I didn't know how to take that at first, especially since I've been trying to internalize the unofficial Foreign Service mantra "It Depends" and am making an honest attempt to be flexible. The last thing I wanted to do was appear rigid to the person who holds the direction of the next two years of my life in his hands. My most important preference showed my true nature though: use CNL points and/or take a Consular position. I'm lucky enough to already be off language probation, so I figured if I could get the other two requirements out of the way in the first tour then I would be free to choose what I wanted for the second tour. I guess that doesn't sound quite as flexible as I had hoped....

After our meeting, I considered my advisor's suggestions and spent a good portion of the weekend researching countries and ranking, rearranging, then re-ranking the bid list. Last night I submitted my final list of preferences and the ranked bid list, so now it's out of my hands and the chips will fall where they may. I plan on spending the next 13 days trying to be flexible, but for now I'll be answering most questions with "It Depends".

5 comments:

  1. I think the CDOs try their best to do headfakes during those first interviews. I wouldn't overthink it if you can help it. My priorities for my first tour were exactly the same - use my CNL and do consular work. If you have a language that is desperately in need (as I'm assuming you do, judging by the al Jazeera and BBC Arabic links), it seems you get a little more purchasing power with your priorities in A-100.

    Besides, being a box-checker isn't a bad thing! (Says the obsessive-compulsive listmaker.) It's better than being scatterbrained and fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants-y. As long as you can adapt when the lists of boxes change, you'll be fine.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly, I think the FS attracts people who like to plan and then completely takes that ability away from them. I like boxes and lists. Like is actually not a strong enough word...I have done well as a staffer because I LOVE boxes and lists. Give me a box and I will find a way to check it off. Tell me to plan something and I will have a list in moments!

    So go with it, check your boxes as best you can, and find a way to breathe deeply when you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks, I'm trying to breathe deeply! I know the CDOs know what they're doing, but glad to hear there are other box checkers out there =) He wasn't upset that that was my highest preference, but he still got a good chuckle out of it.

    And Hannah, you're right-Arabic is my CNL =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog name could not be better. I love it. Best of luck with bidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you as your flag day approaches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get one of your top choices!

    ReplyDelete